Skip to main content

YA Author Interview: Victoria Scott!

_______________________________________________


Author Name: Victoria Scott 
.
Title: THE COLLECTOR: A DANTE WALKER NOVEL
.
Release Date: spring 2013
.
Blurb:
.
Dante Walker is flippin' awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence has made him one of Hell's best--a soul collector. His job is simple, weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Stealing souls is nothing personal. Dante's an equal opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he'll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper's soul within 10 days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that's a permanent ticket out of Hell. But after Dante meets the quirky, Nerd Alert chick he's come to collect--he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector, and uncover emotions deeply buried.
 _______________________________________________

Book Talk/Character Talk

Add it: Goodreads


Describe your book in one word:

Bombalicious

Cast your hero:

Zac Efron









Cast your heroine:

Emma Watson













Describe your hero in three words:

Arrogant, Sexy, Funny

Describe your heroine in three words:

Dork, Charitable, Fun

Favorite line by your hero:

“Girl, I got swag for days.”

Favorite line by your heroine:

“Do you like unicorns?”

How would your hero describe your heroine when he first meets her?:

From book: “She looks like a porcelain doll…beat three times with an ugly stick.”

How would your heroine describe your hero when she first meets him?:

“Oh….My….Gawd.”

_______________________________________________

Author Talk

Why do you write in the genre you write?:

Because there’s more room for excitement when you’re characters don’t have to worry about paying the mortgage, or going to a job they don’t love, or changing diapers, etc. Know what I mean chicken wing?

What other genres would you consider and why?:

I didn’t really consider other genres. But I bet doing a children’s book would be fun. Like the ones with pics? That’d be cool. Then again, I’d probably write too many make-out scenes.

Can you give us a hint of something else you’re working on?:

Hint: A race

_______________________________________________

Comments

  1. I have this book on my to-read list already. It sounds amazing! Arrogant heros are always entertaining to read about and I can't wait to meet Dante. ;) Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVITY e-book is Now Available!

Exciting news!

GRAVITY did have a book birthday yesterday after all—well technically today. It is now available in both Kindle and Nook formats! And check out these amazing blurbs for the book: "A thrilling debut packed with action and mystery. Aliens never looked so good."
USA TODAY Bestselling author Jennifer L. Armentrout.


"GRAVITY is a nonstop action thrill ride set in a richly imagined sci-fi version of earth, featuring a bold heroine who knows how to fight, just not who she should be fighting for. Start reading and you won't. Ever. Stop." Jennifer Bosworth, author of Struck (FSG/Macmillan)
~~~ The print version will be available online and in stores within a few weeks. But to celebrate the release of the e-book, I need your help to spread the word! And I have a few prizes available for participating.
Ways to play:
Tweet that the e-book is now available with links to GRAVITY’s Kindle and Nook e-books on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Must use hashtag #…

Make your readers uncomfortable

I have this one scene in TWISTED ROOT that is…intense. It is so intense that I’ve had reactions all over the place from my CP’s and betas.

Let me start by saying I have a ton of people read my work. An 8 person crit group, 2 crit partners, and 2 that I would say are alpha readers—friends who read tons and have strong editing backgrounds.

So I receive crits all over the place, and this scene has created some interesting responses. One critter went crazy for it, loved it. Another referred to it as slightly icky. I loved that response. :) Another blushed when we discussed it in person. And all of the male critters I have thought it was awesome—go figure. Men have a much higher threshold for uncomfortable-ness, than most women. (JMHO!!!)

Now I’m not saying I don’t adore all my readers. I do. I couldn’t write without them. Each one makes my work stronger. But here’s the thing, I’m keeping the scene, as it is (for now). Wanna know why?

I think as a writer you should make your reader uncomfortab…

Insta-LOVE

I’ve grown a little obsessed with Goodreads lately. Some reviewers seem to love everything, while others hate everything. The logic behind many of the reviews can be fairly funny to read. One such topic for YA has been “insta-love.” The reviews define the term as two characters meet and 20 pages later they’re madly in love, willing to give up their lives for one another.

While I think 20 pages is likely quick for the word “love,” I do not think it is too quick for obsession. Why? Because that is teen love. I have a 14-year-old niece who has a different boyfriend all the time it seems. One such boyfriend “cheated” on her—meaning he went to a movie with another girl—and she said “it was really hard because we were together so long.” So I asked her how long and she responded: “three weeks.” Yep, it took three whole weeks for my young niece to fall for some boy.
I think it is very important to remember our true audience when writing for YA. We are not writing for the 30-year-old women who…