Skip to main content

Reviews and Why Even Bad Reviews Are Good

When I was little my dad used to always tell me that if nothing bad happened we would never have anything to compare the good and would then know no difference. As a kid, I'm sure I rolled my eyes at this or even questioned him, but as an adult--and now an author--I feel this is something we need to remind ourselves of again and again.

See, I have officially been a published author for about a week now, which means I have received reviews. Some have been very, very good. And some have been vomit-inducing. At first I found myself focusing on the bad reviews, wondering how the reviewer saw THAT in my book. Did they not get it? Did I completely jack up all 300 pages? And then suddenly I realized I was focusing on the wrong thing.

Here's the truth: If you write, plan on getting a bad review--or 50. Plan on getting a review so bad you want to curl up and hide. But do not focus on those reviews, because focusing on the bad is doing a massive disservice to the readers that LOVE your book. And those readers are your true audience.

See, as writers, we do not yet know who our audience really is. We think we do. Our editors and publishers even think they do. But until the book hits the world, we have no idea who the book is going to speak to. If you focus on the bad--the readers that may not be your audience--then you are completely missing the joy of those readers that couldn't put your book down, that tweet and message you for info on the next book. THOSE are your readers! THAT is your audience. Embrace them, celebrate your successes with them, and above all else, thank them. They are the reason you write. Feel fortunate. I do.

Comments

  1. I think have to take the good with the bad, and remember to enjoy the accomplishment.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! But you can always look at the bad reviews as critiques which you can use to make your book better. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great advice! Readers are different, and thank goodness that's true or all the books would be the same. Truthful reviews help a book find its audience.

    ES Ivy (for some reason my Wordpress login isn't working.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GRAVITY e-book is Now Available!

Exciting news!

GRAVITY did have a book birthday yesterday after all—well technically today. It is now available in both Kindle and Nook formats! And check out these amazing blurbs for the book: "A thrilling debut packed with action and mystery. Aliens never looked so good."
USA TODAY Bestselling author Jennifer L. Armentrout.


"GRAVITY is a nonstop action thrill ride set in a richly imagined sci-fi version of earth, featuring a bold heroine who knows how to fight, just not who she should be fighting for. Start reading and you won't. Ever. Stop." Jennifer Bosworth, author of Struck (FSG/Macmillan)
~~~ The print version will be available online and in stores within a few weeks. But to celebrate the release of the e-book, I need your help to spread the word! And I have a few prizes available for participating.
Ways to play:
Tweet that the e-book is now available with links to GRAVITY’s Kindle and Nook e-books on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Must use hashtag #…

Make your readers uncomfortable

I have this one scene in TWISTED ROOT that is…intense. It is so intense that I’ve had reactions all over the place from my CP’s and betas.

Let me start by saying I have a ton of people read my work. An 8 person crit group, 2 crit partners, and 2 that I would say are alpha readers—friends who read tons and have strong editing backgrounds.

So I receive crits all over the place, and this scene has created some interesting responses. One critter went crazy for it, loved it. Another referred to it as slightly icky. I loved that response. :) Another blushed when we discussed it in person. And all of the male critters I have thought it was awesome—go figure. Men have a much higher threshold for uncomfortable-ness, than most women. (JMHO!!!)

Now I’m not saying I don’t adore all my readers. I do. I couldn’t write without them. Each one makes my work stronger. But here’s the thing, I’m keeping the scene, as it is (for now). Wanna know why?

I think as a writer you should make your reader uncomfortab…

Insta-LOVE

I’ve grown a little obsessed with Goodreads lately. Some reviewers seem to love everything, while others hate everything. The logic behind many of the reviews can be fairly funny to read. One such topic for YA has been “insta-love.” The reviews define the term as two characters meet and 20 pages later they’re madly in love, willing to give up their lives for one another.

While I think 20 pages is likely quick for the word “love,” I do not think it is too quick for obsession. Why? Because that is teen love. I have a 14-year-old niece who has a different boyfriend all the time it seems. One such boyfriend “cheated” on her—meaning he went to a movie with another girl—and she said “it was really hard because we were together so long.” So I asked her how long and she responded: “three weeks.” Yep, it took three whole weeks for my young niece to fall for some boy.
I think it is very important to remember our true audience when writing for YA. We are not writing for the 30-year-old women who…